Epi-Ready Team Training
Epi-Ready, a multi-day training course that utilizes a team-based approach, teaches professionals how to respond to a foodborne illness outbreak efficiently and effectively by understanding the roles and responsibilities of the disciplines involved: epidemiology, laboratory, and environmental health. This training helps public health professionals and other involved personnel rapidly identify and investigate a foodborne disease outbreak to allow for swift implementation of control measures to stop and prevent outbreaks.
Epi-Ready focuses on:
- Proactive training for teams before an incident occurs
- Clear lines of communication and responsibilities within departments
- Improved collaboration between organizations and disciplines
- Reduced response time
- Staff and community confidence in having a well-trained team in place
The course uses the analogy of a 3-legged stool, representing a collaboration between the disciplines involved in a foodborne illness investigation:
- Environmental health specialists
- Laboratory staff
The course also recognizes the important role of critical support players including but not limited to health educators, public health nurses, public information officers, and the food industry.
- Workshop content is designed to follow the Council to Improve Foodborne Outbreak Response (CIFOR) Guidelines.
- Information from the International Association of Food Protection (IAFP) Procedures to Investigate Foodborne Illness was also used to inform the course contents.
- Topics are covered through a combination of lectures, question-and-answer sessions, interactive group exercises, and a final case study.
- This training was developed in partnership with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
The History of Epi-Ready
This history of the Epi-Ready program was uncovered through a series of interviews, personal conversations, emails, and paper files of key partners involved through the last 20 years. It serves as a comprehensive report on the evolution and value of Epi-Ready since its inception. This is the first report of its kind, showcasing the history of the Epi-Ready training concept, the value it brings to the public health field, and the future of the training program.
Read the Report
Read the Report
Schedule a Training
To set up a training session in your jurisdiction, contact Siobhan Dodds and Katie Garman.